Monday, February 25, 2008

Seeing My Family

I'm seeing my family in some strange places these days.
I saw my sisters and brothers on the internet, in pictures and videos,
in cages, overcrowded,
in buildings where men, also my brothers,
went slowly insane as they cut the throats of their brothers and sisters.
They call the buildings Factory Farms. Abattoirs. Slaughterhouses.

I Watched on the history channel as my great aunts and uncles,
grandmothers and fathers were broken, tortured, gassed,
shot, burned because the distant cousin no one likes to talk about
said that they weren't good enough.
We remember this as the Holocaust.
We call that cousin Hitler.

My family history is the history of the world.
My heart is the picture of turmoil as everyday it seems
my brothers and sisters kill and enslave one another
when the war ends it's loss regardless of side.

I'm seeing my family in some strange places these days,
and some days I can't breath for grieving;
can't cry for smiling,
the extremes of light and darkness in my family astound me.

My brothers and sisters fly and nurture babies and embrace the world.
They picket and reach out with messages of compassion.
They hold so tight to life. They fight so hard to live.
and I'm seeing them.
Every day, Everywhere,
I'm seeing my family.

I wrote this a few days ago, so I hope you either like it or best it with an entry of your own.

1 comment:

LoncheraV said...

Hey plant murderer!
Awesome screen name.
I really enjoy your entries in the VeganFAQs blog.
Keep it up.